Friday 13 May 2011

POETRY

Thanks to Leah, our Foreign Language Assistant (British English),you can read the following poem at the same time as you listen to it:



Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone

by W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message: He Is Dead.
Put crepe bows around the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East, my West,
My working week, my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack away the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can come to any good.

SOURCE for the poem:http://homepages.wmich.edu/~cooneys/poems/auden.stop.html
SOURCE for the videos:http://masqueclases.blogspot.com/2011/05/recital-de-poemas-2011.html

No comments: